When I got back from NYC, I was pleased to find that Tempest Rose over at Nonsense and Shenanigans had nominated me for the Liebester award. Thank you, thank you! If you haven’t visited her before, you definitely should. She’s creative, funny and controversial. Her blog is always a good read.
How do you feel about blog awards? I’m finding a lot of people don’t like them, are sick of them or appreciate them, but don’t participate. I think they are fun. I like to know when you like something I write/draw or if you appreciate my blog. Hearing that sort of thing makes my day! The Liebester is extra fun because it comes with questions to answer…something I love to do. Then I get to ask questions and read the answers when I pass it on…more fun 🙂
Normally, the Liebester is passed on to smallish blogs that you admire. Since I have done the Liebester before and recently nominated a bunch of my favourite blogs for other awards, I’m going to answer the questions I was given and post new questions for you (yes, you reading this) to answer.
Here are my answers to the questions from Nonsense and Shenanigans (big thanks again :D)….
1. If you could change one thing about your country, what would it be?
Language laws. I think being a bilingual country is a great thing, but it has to be done right. Do I know how to do it right? No, but I know there has to be a better way. No doubt, many of you were laughing at the antics of our language police here is Quebec over the last year or so….Not allowing terms like “pasta” and “calamari” on a menu at an Italian restaurant because they weren’t the proper French terms….please! I also remembering hearing something about artwork in a restaurant having to be removed because it had English words in it. I understand the intention, but it was getting a bit ridiculous. Things are better now, but far from perfect. Going from one extreme to another….I have lived in Quebec for 11 years and I am not fluent in French. Am I ashamed? Yes! I grew up in Ontario and took French all through school. I got excellent grades and was declared fluent in French on my report cards….then I moved to Quebec and learned I couldn’t speak or understand at all. It really is too bad. I think French is undervalued in the rest of Canada, but carries a lot of resentment with Anglophones in Quebec. It would be nice to even things out across the country.
2. What is one thing about your country that makes you unbelievably proud?
There are so many reasons to be proud of Canada. People make fun of us, but I like that we have a reputation for being kind, polite and understanding. We accept our neighbours regardless of race, sexuality or religion. There’s nothing wrong with “please”, “thank you” and “sorry” either. 🙂
3. Do you remember your dreams? If so, what is the last dream you had that affected you?
I remember the dreams that I have over and over again. The others tend to fade away. The last one that got me was about my Gran. I dreamed she had been alive these past ten years and I hadn’t known. I was so upset that I had missed out on all that time with her. Hubby said I was crying and whimpering in my sleep. Woops! I have this dream a lot, slightly different every time. I wake up so confused.
4. If a blogging genie came to you and offered you three blogging-related wishes, what would you wish?
- I wish I got paid to write my blog and draw my pictures.
- I wish I knew some programming so I could make it really original
- I wish I had more time to brainstorm for posts.
5. If you had the opportunity to explore undiscovered areas of the earth, OR to explore undiscovered areas of outer-space, which would you choose?
Earth definitely. I am interested in anthropology and paleontology. I’d love to learn more about ancient humans and extinct animals. There’s the ocean too. So much of the ocean has yet to be explored. I am interested by life, which is something that hasn’t been confirmed in space yet. Stars and planets are wonderful, but until we find life, I’d much rather study the Earth.
6. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I wanted to talk about my mental health problems and connect with others going through similar things. I thought talking might help me feel better, or understand myself better. I thought maybe I could learn from the experiences of others. This is a part of myself I keep hidden from most of the people in real life for the obvious reasons, so blogging under an alias seemed like a good idea and so far it has been going well.
7. What is your one, ultimate, life-long dream?
I just want to be happy. I want people to be proud of me. I want to feel that I am enough, that I have accomplished enough. I want to stop worrying and working and fighting and just be able to enjoy things.
8. If you had to give up your other achievements to accomplish that dream, would you?
This is a hard question to answer. I guess I’d be fine with having different achievements, but my achievements are a big part of my dream, so I wouldn’t be accomplishing it if I gave them up. I think my dream requires a change in attitude. There isn’t a limit you work towards that says you are adequate. It’s an ongoing process. I need to learn to enjoy while I work. Easier said than done.
9. Do you believe in ghosts? Aliens?
Ghosts? I’m not sure about. The whole energy cannot be created or destroyed makes me wonder sometimes. Aliens? I wouldn’t say believe, more like hope. How could it be possible that properties have combined in this one place to support life and no where else. The universe is so vast. There has got to be something else out there.
10. What religion are you most intrigued by? (It doesn’t have to be your religion, you don’t have to be religious — just one that interests you, in good ways or bad.)
Ah religion, always a sticky topic. It can bring so much hope, but also cause so much destruction. I am interested in East Asian religions, Taoism in particular. I don’t know a lot about it. I took an Eastern Religions class in university and it briefly touched on it. I like that Taosim is associated with nature and the flow of energy. It’s about balance which strikes me a peaceful. I hope to learn more some day.
So here are your questions. You can answer them in the comments or on your own blog (make sure to send me the link!) You can pick and choose which you answer if you’d like, but I’d love to hear from you! 🙂
- How do you get motivated when you’re in a rut?
- Where do you get most of your blog post ideas?
- Do you have any weird habits? Explain.
- What is something you’d like to learn more about?
- If you could have a vacation home anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- What are three of the items on your bucket list?
- Who do you look up to?
- Which one of your posts do you think is best, why? Provide the link.
- Share a quote you find inspiring.
- If you could try out a new career, what would you try?